Sunday, February 24, 2013

Snowy Days, Snowy Nights Where Would I Be Without Some Help


This week we had the worst snow in this area I recall since I’ve lived in this area. And can you believe they are predicting more. When I was a police officer in the various jurisdictions around here I had problems adhering to department policies concerning officers not pushing vehicles out of the snow. I was told it was a liability issue. They didn’t want officers hurt. I usually followed policy to the letter, but this was an issue in which I was a rebel so to say.

It was too hard for me to call a wrecker for people who were stuck in snow when a little push from me would help them get out. They were so thankful and grateful when I saved them the long wait for a wrecker and the cost. I believe these actions fostered good feelings toward police by our residents.

I felt real attached to the Protect and Serve slogan on my patrol car. I believed that helping where I could was serving. I never got hurt. I knew my limitations. 

I hate to admit, there were a few times that I got my patrol car stuck in snow and folks stopped to help push me out. I was quite impressed by all the help that was offered.  Why shouldn’t I return the favor?


No comments:

Post a Comment