Wednesday, March 6, 2013

To Save or Not To Save


I can’t get the women who refused to do CPR at the California independent living center out of my mind. How can anyone standby and watch a person die without doing something? I can’t fathom it. We owe that to all humanity, plus I heard the news caster say she was a nurse.  Nurses have a creed and ethics, don’t they? Yes, I know CPR is not successful the majority of time it is used, but occasionally it does work.

As a police officer and thus a first responder we did CPR to give the family and the people in the area of the victim a ray of hope that they could be revived and saved, That we were there to help. It certainly made my fellow officers and me feel better to think we did all we could. It felt better to tell the victim’s family we did all we could.

Again, I heard on the news that the policy of the center was not to perform CPR or any lifesaving measures on persons in medical distress, but to standby and watch them until the paramedics arrived.  As a fellow human being that would be a hard policy for me follow.  I can’t help, but think if I were fired - I would have a good civil case against my termination.

I must not be the only one concerned because I heard about this incident for several days on various TV channels and shows.

What are your thoughts?

Until Later,
Sally S.

No comments:

Post a Comment