Saturday, October 6, 2012

What To Know


I was chasing a robbery subject on foot one night and within seconds we ended up running down an alley. I lost sight of him for a while; however, I was sure he was in the immediate area because I had not been that far behind him.

I heard my radio traffic into dispatch concerning my location and status in stereo. There was an open window of an apartment along the alley that apparently had a scanner.

Within minutes I did find the man I was chasing crouched behind a trash bin in that area of the alley.  He was arrested, taken to jail, and booked.

This incident was many years ago. Police departments have since scrambled their transmissions and used frequencies for which scanners are not readily available. Also with the proliferation of cell phones much communication is done that way.

This brings to mind the question; how much information should government agencies share with the public? I am talking about the federal government to include military and security info? State government to include state police? City government including city and county police? In many areas things should be transparent, but is it necessary in all areas? Do we currently have transparency in any areas?

Until another day,
Sally S

No comments:

Post a Comment