Friday, August 31, 2012

Attempted Suicide


At about 11:00 one night, in one of the jurisdictions in which I worked, I responded to a medical emergency. Someone called 911 about a phone call they just received from a friend who wanted to say goodbye because she was committing suicide with prescription drugs and alcohol. 

The ambulance and I arrived simultaneously. When we walked up the steps to the apartment, the door was unlocked; we opened the door and walked in.  A woman in her thirties was lying on the sofa with several empty pill bottles lying on the coffee table in front of her and an empty vodka bottle was lying on the floor beneath her. Her speech was slurred and she acted very groggy.

The EMTs (Emergency Medical Technicians) took her pulse, blood pressure and all the actions to make an initial appraisal. They recommended she allow them to take her to the hospital. She refused saying that she wanted to die, her life sucked etc.

Not sure about all states, but in that state it was not against the law to take your own life and medical care couldn’t be forced on anyone. Now if she would have been unconscious, the EMTs or I could have made that decision. But at that point the EMTs and I were supposed to leave and wait and respond when a neighbor, friend, or landlord reported an unconscious or dead body.  I was not ready to do that. I didn’t think she wanted to die, she was confused, frustrated and out of options.

I called my supervisor to ask if I could stay. It was close to quitting time and I was a backup officer and had no reports to turn in.  I would stay as a civilian and he could send someone by to pick up my patrol car. I would request an officer pick me up later if one was available.

The EMTs told me if she fell asleep she would become unconscious and would probably die if not given immediate medical treatment.  If she drank lots of water, no more pills, and no more alcohol she would probably be okay after several hours. I would try to keep her awake until the immediate effects wore off; or call for an ambulance when she went unconscious. The woman and I sat on the sofa and chatted for about two and one half hours. I don’t recall what her specific issues or problems were. I felt that when I left we had talked about possible solutions and ideas for her to pursue and that she would not try to harm herself again that night

Apparently they hadn’t needed the patrol car I had been driving because it was still there in the apartment lot.    I returned the car to the department parking lot and drove home in my POV (Personally owned Vehicle)

I felt good about what I chose to do. I couldn’t walk away. I was much younger then and it was early in my career when I thought I could and should save everybody. I did see the woman years later at a store someplace. She remembered me and thanked me. She said life wasn’t perfect but things were going much better.

Suicide is quite the philosophical and moral issue. Like we don’t have many others. Should people be allowed to take their own lives? It’s their body, their life. But aren’t people often not in their “right” mind when they choose to end their lives? As a society should we step in?  We make decisions for children because they don’t have the cognitive skills to make good decisions and choices.

Until next time,
Sally S


No comments:

Post a Comment