Friday, August 24, 2012

How fast can you change a tire?


I used to think demonstrating the ability to quickly change a tire that was part of the testing to become a police officer was a bit ridiculous.  As usual I seem to have to learn everything the hard way.

It was about 7:00 one summer night in one of my jurisdictions and I had to contact someone at their home concerning a case I had been working. As I parked my patrol car at the curb near the house where I needed to go, I observed several young men sitting out in one of the yards. I recognized several as recently released from prison or known to have committed violent crimes, but the police could never make a solid case for a conviction. These young men were the grown children of the residents in the area. As I walked to the house where I needed to speak to the resident who was victim of a previous case the young men were scowling at me with” looks that could kill”.

When I left the residence about 10 minutes later, I observed a flat tire on my patrol car. I knew I needed to handle the situation correctly or I would be into something I may not be able to handle. I knew from the radio traffic that I had been monitoring on my portable radio that all the other officers in the city were busy on calls and away from their cars. It would take them awhile to respond if I needed help.

I quickly, but not appearing to be in a panic, opened my trunk and removed the jack, the tire iron and the spare tire. I carried them over to the passenger side front tire that was flat. I tried to keep an eye on the young men who were sitting in the yard almost behind me. I felt certain at least half of them were carrying a concealed handgun.  Consequently, I was trying to kneel parallel to the car so I could work and observe. I loosened the lug nuts while the young men were making the most unflattering comments. I got the flat tire off and the spare on and the lug nuts back on and tightened very quickly. I threw the flat tire, the jack and the tire iron into the trunk. I planned on putting them in their proper place when I got to another location. I got into my car and drove off.

Driving away I was thankful that I had learned to change a tire and do it quickly.

There is a dislike of police by many? Why is this? What can the police do to lessen this hatred, short of allowing people to break the law? What can we do as a society to improve the perception of the police?

Until later,
Sally S

No comments:

Post a Comment