Monday, August 20, 2012

Search Warrant for Drugs


At the end of a several month long undercover operation concerning drug dealers several search warrants for residences were issued. All the search warrants were going to be served at the same time early that evening.
 
Eight officers were to go to each home. I was part of the second entry team at the home I went to. The first entry team knocks on the door, says police, waits a second or two, and then opens the door if it is unlocked. If locked, they kick or ram the door down.  Entry must be fast, otherwise people have time to flush drugs, swallow them or dispose of them by some means.  The team quickly enters and searches the home to locate anyone inside. The residents are pat searched for weapons or drugs. The residents are kept together and guarded somewhere in the house. This makes it safe for other officers to search the house. It also prevents the residents from notifying other drug dealers in town what is going on.

Five to ten minutes after the house was searched and secured, the second group of officers were told to go in.  I was instructed to search one of the bedrooms for drugs. I was to locate the drugs, mark the location, and then a second officer would check behind me. This was standard procedure in case the first officer was to miss something; you know the saying “four eyes are better than two.”

I entered the bedroom almost like I was on a “walk in the park.” I perceived no danger, each room of the house had been searched and all persons found were siting on a sofa in the living room.  I walked through the bedroom door, stood still for a second and looked around the room. All a sudden, I thought I heard s faint breathing sound.  I immediately pulled my 357 from it’s holster and approached the closet in front of me to my right.  I thought okay; you could miss finding someone hiding in a closet behind clothes or boxes if you were not real thorough.  I found no one in the closet. I turned around toward the center of the room and noticed the blankets and sheets on the bed were all piled up. The officers who had checked the room could have thrown them about. I was not going to take any chances. I pointed my revolver at the pile of covers and gave a command in as stern a voice as I could conjure up” Get out of the bed now, slowly, come out hands first.” I heard a male voice say,” I don’t have any clothes on.” My response was” I don’t give a damn, get out now.” He did and was wearing only a pair of white briefs.  Apparently all the commotion I was making in the bedroom had been heard and an officer came in, gun drawn to see what was happening. The other office led the man out into the living room.

I just stood still in the room, knowing that at the moment I was too mad to talk with anyone. How could their search have been so sloppy to miss someone lying in a bed? I could have been shot while I was looking in the closet. But I was new to police work, a “new kid on the block.” I didn’t want to criticize those who had been cops longer than I; additionally several were of higher rank. I finished searching the room and found nothing. I later was told most the drugs were found in the kitchen.

This incident brings forth several questions to contemplate in my mind and discuss with others.

Why do we so want to believe and trust? Do we ever verify anything we hear?  Anything we read? Especially on the Internet? If our kids were telling us something we would probably ask for proof, but with adults?

Law enforcement and the judicial system has been waging war on drugs for years and they don’t seem to be winning. Maybe as a society, we should allow those who want to use drugs do so. Thus allow the buying and selling of drugs. Should our law enforcement and judicial dollars and man hours be spent investigating and prosecuting crimes against persons and property opposed to the possession, buying, and selling of drugs?

Until tomorrow,
Sally S

No comments:

Post a Comment