Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Ready, Aim, Spray


One night at about 10:00 I was sent along with another officer to an unknown type of disturbance at a second floor apartment. The other officer was closer and arrived before me.   

When I arrived at the second floor apartment, the other officer was struggling with a male subject and was obviously having problems gaining control. We could not allow the situation escalate because the subject the officer was struggling with wore some type of official uniform and was wearing a gun. I do not recall whom the subject worked for. I decided to spray the subject just about the time the other officer requested I spray.

I carried a small canister of CS on my belt as did all the other officers on the department. I took it off my belt and aimed it at the subject and pressed the discharge button at the exact moment the two men abruptly turned which resulted in my spraying into the faces of both men.  Fortunately, the subject received more spray to his face and eyes than did the officer.

We managed to restrain and cuff the subject and walk him down the stairs then seat belt him into the other officer’s car. The other officer stood by his car and breathed in fresh air for several minutes.  I left the location to respond to another call. The other officer transported the subject to the PD and booked him into the city jail.

I felt so bad that I sprayed the officer and put him in a bad situation.  I had no way of knowing which way they would abruptly move as they were fighting. Its bad enough the streets are dangerous for the police but to be gassed by one of your own?

I don’t have any words of wisdom that relates to this situation. I am sort of concerned about the crimes I hear going on the last few days. A man working for AT&T one night on a service call was beat to death and found in his truck. A man driving around an ice cream truck selling ice cream to kids was robbed and shot.  That’s scary, two guys doing jobs not normally considered dangerous were injured, one fatally. Something to think about.

Until Tomorrow,
Sally S.

No comments:

Post a Comment