Monday, September 3, 2012

Who is Responsible ?


It was late one night, about 1:00, when I observed a car go through a “stop sign” making no attempt to stop or slow down. I put on my overhead red lights and pulled in behind the violator vehicle. After a few feet the vehicle pulled over and stopped. I got out of my car after calling into my dispatcher my location and the license plate number of the stopped vehicle. I observed two subjects sitting in the car. I walked up to the driver’s window and told the driver I stopped him for failing to stop at the stop sign. I asked him for his driver’s license which he said he did not have with him. He told me his name and date of birth. I walked back to my car and when inside advised the dispatcher of the young man’s name and date of birth.  The dispatcher told me he had a legal driver’s license and the car was legally registered to someone with the same last name, but different first name. I figured it was probably his father. I completed filling out the citation for the stop sign violation and no possession of his driver’s license.  The driver’s license charge could be dismissed if he went to the court and showed them his license within a prescribed number of days.

When I had walked about halfway toward the violator vehicle, the car immediately started driving away at a high rate of speed.  I turned around and ran toward my car, got buckled in and advised the dispatcher I was in pursuit of the vehicle that drove off. As I started driving away I turned on my overhead red lights and siren. I could barely see the vehicle, but I managed to keep it in sight for several blocks. The vehicle ran several stop signs along the way. I lost sight of the vehicle when it apparently turned down an alley. When I drove  down the alley I saw the vehicle parked in someone’s driveway, unoccupied with both the drivers and the passengers doors standing wide open.  I notified other officers in the area to be on the lookout for two white males on foot, most likely running. I requested the dispatcher send a wrecker to my location because I was taking possession of the car and wanted it towed to the wrecking company’s secured lot. I took inventory of the items in the car and wrote them on a form. This inventory documented what was in the vehicle when it was towed.

After the car was towed I tried to contact the driver at his listed residence both in person and by telephone.  I left messages for him to contact me, which he never did. I found out he was a student at a nearby university.

I called the number I had located for the registered owner in another state. I informed him I had custody of his car. He said his son took it away to college. I told him why I had custody of the car and I couldn’t get his son to contact me to retrieve it. The father said he would see to it his son contacted me.

The following evening the son came into the department and contacted me. I wrote him a ticket for reckless driving, and interfering with judicial process in addition to the initial stop sign violation and no driver’s license in possession. The additional charges tripled what his initial fine would have been, not to mention more negative points attached to his driving record.

I just don’t get why people don’t want to take responsibility for their actions. It’s not only the young college students but I came across the same issue with adults.  His initial charges were minor compared to the trouble and increased expense from trying to avoid initially taking responsibility.

Why is this lack of responsibility for our actions happening? It might be my imagination, but I feel its gotten worse over the years. Is it a failure of parents? Schools? Society in general?  How can we fix this lack of accepting to own up to our mistakes and take responsibility for our actions?

Until Tomorrow,
Sally S

No comments:

Post a Comment