Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The Cost of Snow and Ice


I was working third shift one winter evening on a day we have received quite a lot of snow and ice.  Many cars were experiencing difficulties making it up several hills on streets in my area of patrol.

At around 9:00 PM while I was driving along one of our four lane street that had several hills I observed two cars stuck trying to get up one of the hills People were behind each of the cars attempting to push them up the hill. I pulled my patrol car behind the stuck cars with my overhead emergency lights on in an effort to protect the people pushing from being hit from behind.

I got out of the car and helped push first the lead car then the second car. Technically we were not supposed to help push cars, something related to workers comp. Guess occasionally I was a rebel because I thought my job was to protect and serve, Just sitting on my ass in the car while I watched someone wait for and pay for a wrecker was not my idea of serving or service

After we managed to get both cars up the hill I walked back to my car, got in and buckled up; then as I was reaching for the shift handle and the emergency light switch I was struck hard from behind.  My head was thrown back causing my hat to fly off and my body lurched forward within the constraint of the seat belt/shoulder harness.

I immediately unbuckled myself and looked for my hat and observed it on the deck behind the backseat. I decided not to get it despite the cold temperatures because I wanted to check on the driver of the vehicle that struck me. As I walked briskly to the car behind mine I noticed my overhead emergency lights were still on. I did not have the opportunity to turn them off before I was struck.  The driver told me she didn’t have any experience driving in snow. She said when she realized she was getting close to the flashing red lights she tried to stop, but instead of stopping her car started sliding on the snow and ice.

Because it was an accident involving an officer we had an officer from another police department work the accident. The driver didn’t want to be transported to the hospital in an ambulance, but my supervisor and the officer working the accident insisted.  We had to “cover all our bases” because a civilian could have possibly been injured in an office-involved accident. Her car sustained minor damage to the left front quarter panel, which caused it to rub the left front tire making it non drivable.  My patrol car only had a few scratches to the rear bumper.

I thought I was okay, and not injured in any way. After about thirty minutes had passed my neck became extremely still and sore, as was my chest, both apparently from the hard impact. I went into the station and notified my supervisor that I thought I should go to the hospital and get myself checked and receive something for the stiffness and pain.

I was driven to the hospital by one of the other officers. At the emergency room while waiting to be seen by a doctor, the officer working the accident came by to obtain additional information for his report.  He had been there getting additional information from the driver. He told me the driver had never driven on snow or ice before and she had only been driving for a few weeks. She also told the officer that when she saw she was going to hit the police car she thought that to be an emergency and she pulled the emergency brake and started to slide.

The emergency room gave me some muscle relaxers and told me to wear a cervical collar and rest at home for two days and not go to work.

I contacted the department and an officer picked me up at the hospital and took me home. I left my personal vehicle in the department parking lot until a fiend could pick it up the next day.

The accident was never discussed with me. Not sure how the ambulance, hospital bills and minor damage to the cars got fixed, but it was out of my hands.

The driver discussed above was from another country that didn’t have snow and ice. If you recall in a previous post I discussed drivers involved in accidents in snow and ice that were from states that did not have those weather conditions. My thought is make part of the driving test for states which receive snow and ice have a simulator that can test the potential driver’s driving skills on snow and ice.  Fortunately, in the examples I mentioned no one was hurt, but that isn’t always the case. Is my proposal feasible? Yes, it would cost money, but can we put a price tag on human lives?

Until Tomorrow,
Sally S

No comments:

Post a Comment