Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Where is My Hat?


While working an injury accident early one evening I needed to provide cervical support for the injured passenger until they could be safely removed from the car. To do this I had to climb into the car through the window because the damaged doors wouldn’t open I crouched in the back behind the passenger and held their neck rigid. After the EMTs extracted the passenger from the car and placed them on a backboard I got out of the wrecked car and assisted with traffic control. Apparently a newspaper photographer was on the scene snapping photographs and one appeared in the following days paper of me standing outside the car wearing no hat.

I must admit I did get out of the car without my hat.  When I arrived at the accident it was apparent there were serious injuries and I wanted to quickly get out of my patrol car and go help the injured. I wouldn’t have been able to keep the hat on while I was crouched in the back seat supporting the passenger’s neck.  It was brought to my attention by a superior officer I had done wrong.

I am as much for the concept of officer presence as anyone. Basically officer presence is how officers present themselves; and how they are perceived merely by their appearance and initial actions. Are they sharp? Uniform clean with crisp pleats? Is the uniform brass shiny, put on straight and correct? Shoes polished?  And I suppose hat on? But I do think one needs to be practical. Was my not wearing my hat a danger to anyone or myself?

The philosophy is, if you look sharp and exacting, the public will think you are sharp and exacting in your work.

The various times I supervised officers I was relentless about their boots being shined, uniforms clean and pressed, and their guns clean. I expected everyone’s boots to be as shined as mine and their guns to be as clean as mine, but I didn’t stress hats.

Is appearance of officers important? Does the public really care? How about doctors and lawyers and other professionals, is it important how they look? Or is performance the only necessary criteria? This line of questioning lends itself to the topic of dress codes. Are they necessary? In the workplace? In schools?

Until Tomorrow,
Sally S


No comments:

Post a Comment